Saturday 13 March 2010

Top Players Struggle in the Desert



Today I am happy. I am happy because some of my predictions actually came true. I shall warn you now, this almost never happens.

If you read yesterday's post you'll see I said Wozniaki, Sharapova and Dementieva should have had easy matches. While on paper their opponents didn't look too intimidating all three struggled to reach the third round. Wozniaki was forced to come from a break down in the 3rd set to beat Vania King 5-7 6-2 6-4, Sharapova fought back from a set and 3-1 down to defeat Vera Dushevina 4-6 7-5 6-2 while Dementieva recovered from a second set blip in style downing Olga Govortsova 6-4 4-6 6-0. These gals better get their games together soon because the competition will only get harder from here.

Also in yesterdays post I called Gisela Dulko 'unpredictable'. This is because while she's not a top player or Grand Slam contender I believe on her day she can beat almost anyone on tour. Well she outdid herself this time beating La Petite Goddess Justine Henin 6-2 1-6 6-4. At least Henin will have an official ranking now.

My other prediction was that Elena Baltacha would cause an upset, which she did edging past Na Li 7-6 2-6 7-6. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think rankings-wise that's the biggest win of her career. Good on you girl!

Tomorrow sees top seed Svetlana Kuznetsova play her first match of the tournament, with Kim Clijsters, Victoria Azarenka and the Serbs Ivanovic and Jankovic all playing too. Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to watch the Lady GaGa Telephone video for the 50th time. If you havn't seen it I recommend you do. Now. It is epic, genius and life changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment